Do you have a phobia of dental visits? Maybe it’s the jarring sound and vibrations of the dental drill. Perhaps it’s the feeling of being incapacitated with people moving their hands around in your mouth. For some, it’s the memories of painful dental treatments in the past. Whatever the source of your dental phobia, your feelings are valid—but you shouldn’t let them prevent you from getting the care you need.
If fear of the dentist has kept you from routine dental appointments, you are not alone! Millions of Americans don’t go to the dentist regularly, as many as one in three adults. For many of these people, anxiety over personal discomfort is the cause.
Some signs of dental anxiety may include:
- Worry over upcoming appointments
- Panic or discomfort in the dental chair
- Difficulty sitting still during appointments
- Fear of needles or painful treatments
- Aversion to the sights, smells, and sounds of the dental office
- Unhappy memories of past experiences
- Regularly canceling appointments
- Ignoring dental pain
Dental anxiety can be a real problem, but the good news is that many dentists now cater to anxious and phobic patients by offering sedation services. If you live in the Richmond, VA area, sedation dentist Dr. Frank Straus can help you overcome your fear and enjoy anxiety-free dentistry.
You Don’t Have to Suffer!
We know how difficult it can be to make and keep dental appointments when you’ve had bad experiences in the past. However, the bottom line is that dental visits help you prevent cavities and gum disease; if you aren’t getting regular dental cleanings due to fear and anxiety, there’s a good chance you may already have signs of tooth decay or gum disease. Let it go too long, and you may soon be experiencing severe dental pain from a deep cavity, or worse. We want you to have the best oral health possible, and a qualified sedation dentist can help you achieve this.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry uses mild to moderate levels of medication to help patients achieve a more relaxed state of mind. These medications induce a feeling of calmness and prevent you from feeling any potential pain or bodily discomfort. Ultimately, sedation dentistry allows you to relax and enjoy a pain- and anxiety-free dental appointment, with either a mild, moderate, or deep level of sedation. You wouldn’t undergo a medical procedure without sedation, so we don’t expect you to suffer through a dental appointment without sedation, either.
Dr. Straus is trained and certified in safe dental sedation techniques and offers four options to accommodate his patients’ needs. Visit our website to learn more about our sedation dentistry services.
- Nitrous Oxide Gas – This gentle gas-based medication works quickly to make you feel calm and its effects end soon after treatment. This means patients can drive themselves home or return to work after an appointment.
- Oral Conscious Sedation – This treatment consists of mild anti-anxiety medications that are taken in pill form. Many of the medicines used in this form of sedation are the same as those given to nervous fliers and people who experience panic attacks. This level of sedation does not make you go to sleep, but many patients feel so calm and relaxed that they end up falling asleep anyway.
- Anxiolysis – This level of conscious sedation uses both nitrous oxide gas and low doses of oral medications. It is often helpful for patients with severe anxiety who do not want to be completely unconscious during their appointments.
- IV Sedation – This deeper level of sedation is best for patients who don’t want to be aware of events during their appointment or don’t want to remember the experience. Medications are delivered intravenously, which means they take effect very quickly, and can be adjusted easily if too little a dose is given.
You Don’t Need to Be Scared of the Dentist Anymore
If you’ve been too fearful to go to the dentist in recent years, we invite you to experience painless and stress-free dentistry with Advanced Dental Care of Richmond. Dr. Straus understands the struggle, and will never make you feel bad about your anxiety or the state of your oral health. We operate a patient-centered practice, which means your health and happiness always come first!
Call us at 804-741-4177 to set up an appointment with Dr. Straus or Dr. Han. We promise to never proceed with exams or treatments until you feel comfortable! Call us today to learn more.