Preventative dentistry is the act of caring for your teeth so as to avoid oral health complications like periodontal disease, cavities, and enamel wear. There are several guidelines, laid out by the American Dental Association (ADA) to best care for your teeth and gums. While treatments exist to help eliminate gum disease and compensate for dental decay, preventing these issues before they arise is the simplest and safest option.
Beyond personal hygiene, it’s important to get into your Richmond dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings. Dr. Han and his experienced team are proud to provide not only a variety of preventative and restorative dental services, but also the educational material necessary to fight off issues like cavities and gum disease. As such, keep reading to learn some of our recommended preventative dental practices.
Preventative Dentistry Practices
- Brush Twice Daily: It’s important to brush your teeth at least twice daily for two minutes. But it’s also recommended you brush your teeth after meals, or after sweet snacks.
- Floss Daily: Flossing every day can help clear debris from those hard-to-reach areas between your teeth. If left unchecked, bacteria can accrue and lead to enamel decay or gum irritation.
- Professional Checkups and Cleanings: While at-home hygiene is crucial to avoiding dental issues, it’s also important to visit your dentist at least once every six months. With a routine checkup and professional cleaning, you can ensure you’re on the right track with your hygiene efforts.
- Healthy Diet: Your diet can greatly affect your oral health. High quantities of sugar, for example, can put you at greater risk for cavities, decay, and periodontal disease. Substituting sweets for fresh fruit can help reduce your risks for such.
- Know Your Risk: Everyone has a different predisposed risk to cavities and gum disease. It’s important to know if you’re at an elevated risk for oral health issues so you can compensate your hygiene efforts accordingly.
Preventative Dentistry in Richmond
If you’re due for a checkup or professional cleaning, call our Richmond office today! Or, contact us here.